Tuesday 6 November 2007

Its not all bad news

This Monday was probably the worst day on the course, I had just come back from half term and we were told that we were showing our presentations today.


I was extremely nervous and just genuinely didn’t want to do it. I was called up and presented it in front of Steve. I overshot my 5 minute limit by about 2 minutes; I don’t think that this will be a bad thing at this point.


I felt nervous throughout the whole experience but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Afterward I felt quite please with myself, but I had rehearsed it before and it was under 5 minutes and I was shocked about the change in time, maybe it was just the way I read it.


That afternoon we were put into our new seminar groups and I feel that we will get along really well; they are a good bunch of people. We were given a task to do asking us to produce a list of what we felt the first part of the term was like and I think we did rather well with that.


Then the dreaded news came of our grades, Ive been having doubts about it for the past week so it wasn’t as much as a shock that I got referred, besides, I can make it a pass when I get my feedback from Steve.

More than half of the class got referred, some took it harder than others which are understandable and we are all a team and will support each other through this dark time.


Today I feel a lot more refreshed am confident that I can move my grade up. This morning were put into our seminar groups again and were give a task to answer the question, “Are we Designers? Are we Artists? Or are we both?” we all came to a conclusion that we were in fact designers, after an excruciating Discussion.


We also enjoyed a talk about a cow cut in half that’s at Tate modern in London; I personally really want to go see this.


This afternoon we were asked to investigate into A4 which is Image rights, ironically the first task that I have to do was the question that the class did this morning, hmm…


At about 4 o’clock our seminar group were called in for a session with Steve, we had all created a list of questions that we wanted to ask Steve about the new assignments. All my questions were answered and I'm now on track.


I also have my new domain - Here


Here is a list of the tasks that I must complete for next week:


  • Essay on Design and art
  • Begin A3
  • Produce Production Schedule

9 comments:

Gary Benn said...

Well done in your presentation. It is strange why or bodies are such stupid things, they make us panic about the smallest of task.

The only art of things like that is being able to stand back and say "Wait a minute this isn't scary, just do it"

I found the somewhat open discussion in the refectory before hand was very useful and helped me get through the morning. We really saw this week how the group came together to make a great support to each other.

great to see your domain is up and running by the way!

Suzanne Hullah said...

Well done on seeing the positive side of your referal. This could be a massive learning curve for you as it will prepare you to not make the same mistakes next time and therefore can ensure you get a pass first time on future assignments!

I enjoyed our new seminar group yesterday, I think the intial 'bonding' that happened monday morning in the refectory helped a lot!

Tom Smith said...

I think Gary makes a good point about our bodies... no matter how much we might be psychologically ready and prepared for a presentation, our bodies often react completely differently and make it a hell of a lot worse!

Glad that you thought your presentation went well though, it seems to be the general consensus that they went successfully.

Just to reiterate what Sue said, it's good that you look positively on your referral. The feedback you get and having to redo some of the work will set you on line for the future assignments.

Oh, by the way, I want to go see the cow too!

Victoria Fisher said...

I went over my time limit too, when doing the presentation, some people get nervous and talk fast, I forget my words, which makes me panic and I use time thinking of what I need to say.

I think we are designers like you said, but do designers create art as well as artist. At first I found the essay question hard to understand but the more my group discussed it the more I had my own thoughts on the answer to the question.

Greg Carrick said...

It’s good that you see the positive side of things. And after Monday morning in the canteen, at least now we know the whole class are there for each other and will help everyone pass the assignment.

Webomatic said...

Hi Liam

I suppose you are in the same boat as me, I’m glad to see that you are in a good mood about it, as I have said many times before on blogger and in class we are students, we are always learning and I’m sure it wont be the last time.

Also glad to here your presentation went well, I think nerves are a pain, mainly because they seem to give me dry mouth which makes doing a presentation even worse, but I enjoyed it to some extent learning all the new facts and gaining confidence.

Thanks, Martyn

James Bell said...

Good to hear you felt your presentation went well.

I was also shocked at the time it took me to do my presentation as I had practiced it a number of times but when it came to real thing I was around two minutes fast.

I think this presenting is something that we will all improve on as I am sure we will get plenty of chances to practice.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.

DREW said...

I wouldn't worry too much about a refferal. Obviously its not what any of us want, especially on the first assignment but as you say you will get chance to put it right.

I reffered on my first assignment and felt pretty low about it but it will give you a better idea of what you need to do for your next assignment.