Friday 7 September 2007

Personal Statement

Where I’ve come from

My interest in computer media first started in high school, in year 10 I chose to do a course called GNVQ ICT. This course gave me a tasted of how to use the internet efficiently; this course also allowed me to develop my creativity skill, not in website design but in the form of leaflets and posters.

After high school I went to Wakefield College and join the GCE in Applied ICT course, this was situated on Margaret Street. At first, I tried to apply for the higher course which was a BTEC National Diploma, but I was unable to get into the course because I didn’t obtain a grade C in my maths and English at high school, fortunately I managed to pass both subjects at grade C this year.

During my course I learned many things, how to set up a network, how to take apart and build a PC, but I feel the most important topic we covered was how to create a website. Unfortunately the software that the college used was Microsoft FrontPage, so I felt i couldn’t make a website to my full potential. Our work had to be submitted in eBook form so we learned how to make the links work on every page, it took some people alot longer to figure this out that others.

Where I’m going

In 10 years time, I see myself doing website design as a profession, I would also like to own my own business, go freelance and develop websites for a variety of companies.
I would also like to repair computers and do this as well as web development; I feel it’s good to do a variety of things rather than doing one constant job.
One of my other interests has being building computers; it’s something I really enjoy, so I hope to maybe go into business on my own or perhaps with a friend.


How I’m going to get there


I’m going to use the course to get me where I want to go, and I will also develop my skills at home in my spare time, learning new things with all different pieces of software.
I have never used most of the software that is used in this course so I feel it will be a good challenge to get to grips with them.

I will also search for artistic inspiration everywhere I go, perhaps even buy a camera, because inspiration can be found everywhere and I need to find it to develop different styles, so every piece of work I do doesn’t look the same.

I also think that learning code will be an advantage, the only programming codes I know at the moment are VB and HTML. I would like to learn more code languages because as well as the designing part of the course.
I feel knowing the code behind it is just as important, I will also learn how to manage my time properly; this course is going to test my time keeping, I intent to work to the best of my ability throughout the course.

No comments: