Tuesday 25 September 2007

Written Work / Pagemaker

This week has being challenging, I had to get most of the written work out of the way yesterday, this includes all of the first 4 tasks of the assignment, ill admit, I haven’t completely done them all yet but I have got most of it done. I have also started to put my references into a separate document; I will be putting these into the final version of my work.


I also had my first tutorial with John Munday, we went over my personal statement and it seems that I need to elaborate on a few things, I don’t disagree with him, reading through it again shows that some of it doesn’t make sense so I will be doing the redraft for personal study. We also went over the email Steve sent out, john asked my how may times have I checked my mail this week, truth is, if I'm online I will check my email every 30 minutes, I got told not to do that, so I’ve been told to check them regularly, not as regularly as that, confused?... I know I am.


Today Steve taught us how to use Adobe PageMaker; this is the application I will be using to make my site template. It will also be used to create the remaining 4 tasks of the assignment. This is also the same software we will be using to print out the entire assignment once it is written up.


At first Steve gave a lecture on it and naturally I took notes, then he asked the class to follow the instructions and create a newspaper article. I was rather simple to use, and even though he told us how to resize boxes, which we all knew before, I still wrote it in my Sketchbook, just for future reference.


Ill admit though, this afternoon the entire class including myself were unprepared for our seminar groups, and Steve didn’t take to it well, we all ended up finding out about the web accessibility points. We didn’t task about them much In the seminar but I have been told that I am not leaving any comment to all of you, so you may be receiving a comment form me very soon.


My scrapbook is coming along rather well; I’ve found some great inspiration and also some humor which is always good, ill post a few links up that I have used later on this week.


Overall it’s been a good week, I’ve learned a how to use Page maker, which is the most important thing for this assignment.


This is what I will be doing throughout the rest of the week:



  • *Complete all written work in word
  • *Rewrite Personal Statement
  • *Play With PageMaker
  • *Develop Scrapbook
  • *Create Draft templates for site
  • *Research Jakob Nielson
  • *Take notes on Web accessibility

4 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

It's nice to see that you've planned the rest of your weeks work out well, with realistic targets, I'm still trying to improve my target setting skills.

Tom Smith said...

I'm not sure what the standard e-mail checking procedure, but similar to you, I check my e-mails all the time- I'm on my computer a lot and it alerts me when I get one. I suppose once a day as enough.

Anonymous said...

John would probably be upset with me too! I'm forever checking my email. I guess it's what you're comfortable with - as long as it doesn't interfere with your working patterns.

If it's a self-study day, why not check between every task you've planned - when there's a natural break. On a non self-study day, a couple of times should be enough: once in the morning, and once in the evening.

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify what I suggested ...

Set aside regular times, e.g 1/2-1 hour slots for checking, prioritising and replying to your emails each day. I would also limit to 2-3 times per day ... good time management practice!

Steve take note :-)