Tuesday 2 October 2007

And now, the end is near.....

Well nearly the end of my first assignment anyway, I’ve got a lot of work to do this week, I’m not behind, I just need to do a little tweaking here and there. What I need to do this week is complete the last three tasks of the assignment, I'm sure that the only one I’m going to struggle with is the screen design.


Yesterday Steve went over the template we will be using to import the written work into, and also how the entire assignment should be laid out, which in my opinion helped a lot because for the competitive analysis I made a table for the SWOT analysis.

It seems that the text I wrote in that doesn’t count really so I’ve had to write a few paragraphs to summarize both sites and to explain what good parts of the sites I will use in my own.


I’ve began to create the design template for my site in Photoshop but I’m not sure how to go about it, I’m trying to create a retro design since I’m doing it about Charlie Chaplin I’ve not really use it before and I do feel that I need help.


I managed to get permission to use an image on the template, I found it on a fan site and asked her permission to use it, she replied saying that I have to email www.charliechaplin.com. I did this and told them why I needed it and to my shock they said yes. I’ve taken screen shots of both emails and put them in my sketchbook.


For John Mundays Seminar, we were split into groups of for and were given tasks to do for the week ahead, we were also given feedback for last weeks Seminar and were given some tips on how to check for grammar errors properly, in-case spell checker doesn’t get them all.


All day today I have being doing as much on page maker as I can, I downloaded PageMaker 7 Trial for at home, so I could complete the rest of my work, but its not opening the .T65 or the .P65 files, and I’m unsure why.

Its clear that my only option at the moment is to attempt Adobe InDesign, I’ve heard that’s its more complex to use that PageMaker, but in the end the work has to be done, by any means necessary.


I have set myself some goals for the week ahead, they are as follows:


· Complete competitive analysis

· Complete Screen Designs

· Create and complete assets List

· Create and complete Budget Statement

· Ensure all written work is spell checked and completed

· Attempt to use Adobe InDesign to compile work

· Sort out and arrange References

· Begin Evaluation


…..So Basically Complete the Assignment

2 comments:

Julian Dyer said...

I personally don’t think that InDesign is harder to use than PageMaker – quite the opposite, in fact. All the tools you need to put your work into the template (place command, type boxes, etc) are all in the same place.

It is also less fussy about which formats you place into the documents (for pictures, etc) and makes more sense to use all round. Also, InDesign can export straight to PDF. If you get stuck, InDesign also has a really good help facility, and the InDesign CS2 Bible book (look on Amazon) is good as a reference if you need to find out how to do something.

I’d assume that Steve would want the site design done in PageMaker/InDesign rather than Photoshop. Any images you wish to use in it will obviously have to go through Photoshop first, and placed into your design. If you have been told otherwise by Steve, ignore this. If you want clarification, pop him an email.

Craig Allington said...

It's good to see your thinking about copyright already in your assignment, when we did a similar assignment I think a lot of people, including myself, didn't really consider this fact as the site it's self wasn't going to be created.

Getting into the habit at an early stage however gives you an idea of how long it can take to gain copyright licences and gives you better ideas of where to get copyright free images from at a later date.