Tuesday 29 January 2008

The Art of Type

Over the past couple of weeks I have had to do other areas of work, unfortunately my laptop had broken the week before college started again, and it had been “In the shop” since, I’m happy to report that I have it back and am cracking on.


Monday morning, wasn’t like another morning, Steve just let us get on with our work, this was mainly aimed at the people that had referred on A3, and this was the morning that Steve wanted it handing in.


Luckily I had completed it, but had to print a few things out, this was mainly because my printer has stopped working, so I must buy another one, preferably one that doesn’t take 3 minutes to print out one page of work.


Later on I handed my work in to Steve, I then received feed back on A4, unfortunately one of my main objectives is to redo the image restoration task again, this was the one thing I didn’t want to do again because its too time consuming and I already have a lot on, but ill cope, I have to really.


The afternoon was basically a get on with it time, I started my website, which I was thrilled about but I realised that most of the people in the class are ahead of me, so it seems I will have to catch up rather quickly.


Also that afternoon, I decide to start my image restoration again, but I only got as far as rotating it, cropping the edges and just started the spot healing process, but this time I’ve decided to use the grid tool, hopefully this will help me to get all the marks and spots off the image.


Today I didn’t start college officially till 1 o’clock, but during the morning I decided to continue the image restoration task and give the Zuzana Licko presentation a look over and edit parts of it before getting to college.


When I came into college I rechecked the presentation then printed it off for seminar groups. Steve went over every groups presentation, to see how much everyone knew about there chosen typographer, after all this was only a draft for the presentation.


Today lecture was titled “type Anatomy”, which spoke of the heights which text it to be centered, there are called the baseline and the x height. It also explained what certain parts of letter are, for example the line in the centre of an f is known as a cross bar, and the bowl is the curved part of a P.


This presentation has been very helpful to me because I can now elaborate on the typographers fonts. Explaining what font has certain parts to it.


My tasks for this week are as follows:


  • Redo the image compression essay for John to look over on Monday
  • Continue image compression task – using the spot tool
  • Complete web form on website
  • Inspirational pieces for sketchbook

4 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Like you, on A4 I was advised to consider restarting the Image Restoration and although this may seem a pain, it is worth it.

You'll be able to apply all the snippets of feedback you've received and make a good job of it second time round and you'll see the improvement you've made.

Victoria Fisher said...

When I got my image restoration feedback, I got it in stages so I haven’t got too much to do each time. This week I am starting by doing all the simple things which I could do last time and maybe start working on a harder area of the photo if I get time. Steve also showed me the grid tool, I didn’t use it last time so hopefully it will help this time.

John Browne said...

Seems like your cracking on with it Liam. You know what is needed of you and your aim is to get that done.

Good luck on the website build and catching up with the other students who are wuite possibley near the finishing stages of the website build or at the point of testing..

Michelle Bonfield said...

Congratulations on getting the first part of your referal work handed in, I think it says a lot for your time management skills, being able to juggle everything at the moment!

As for the image restoration I'm sure you'll be pleasingly surprised at how much you have learnt first time around. Just make sure everything you do is in separate 'named' layers that way you can easily edit anything thats not working. Good luck.