Tuesday 5 February 2008

Gettin' on With it.

As the title suggests, this week has just been a “get on with it” week. Monday morning began with Steve telling us to just get on with A5; I must see that I was very relieved with this as I had only just begun A5.

Unfortunately, things didn’t go to plan, there were many obstacles to get around. The first was getting the sites content inline on Firefox, every other browser works fine with the site.

I didn’t have a clue how to sort it out, so I sought out James for advice. He managed to get it all lined up by inserting something called a spacer GIF, which is basically an image, about 1 pixel by 1 pixel in size, and he shows me how to insert them into my site.

In Dreamweaver, they are evident, but when viewed in a browser, they are invisible. The second problem I had was a space between the banner and the navigation bar.

I seeked out James yet again, and he managed to sort it, but It has popped up once again, so I will have to sort it out myself.

The site is now going well, I have 2 more pages of content to create, and index page, and the form. I will have the site complete and uploaded by the end of this week, postponed I know but I've had to juggle A4 and A6 as well.

The rest of the day consisted of continuing A5 and I also had a meeting with John Munday, he asked me last week to re-write and complete the image compression task for A4, he went over it with me, just to make sure that everything was ok, it was apart form a few errors.


Today we began with a timed task, the first of our “Real” task. It consisted of making a Paint tube package, strange I know.

The task was due in at 11.00 but I found it really enjoyable, I decided not to do 5 designs, I only did three concepts and one realistic design, I managed to get the assignment done by 10.55 so I was quite pleased with myself.


Today’s seminar group involved looking over the Website questionnaire and the presentation hand out. I have to design the handout; all I have at the moment is notes.


My tasks for this week, and the half term are:

  • Complete website and upload it – By Saturday Evening
  • Complete handout
  • Complete questionnaire
  • Complete presentation and practice it

4 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

I had a similar problem with the browsers on my site and it took quite a while for me to figure it out. I wish I had sort out James help, but as he had previously helped me with a problem, I felt like I was taking up too much of his time.

I’ll check back to have a look at your website, hopefully mine should be up soon.

Victoria Fisher said...

Like you i have problems with how my site looked in the fire fox browser, but I also have problems with it in internet explore. It’s a good idea to regularly test the web pages in the different browsers, so that when you have completed the site, all the pages will look like they are meant to and it will mean you wouldn’t have to redone web pages that don’t work which would waste time.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have got the problems sorted with your site. I was the same the site didnt work in different browsers but I started the design of the site again and it seems to be working ok.

I have got to start the image restoration again, I agree with what you have said that it wont take as long to get the image completed as this time we know where all of the tools are.

Webomatic said...

Hi Liam

I had the same problem at first I just messed around with the template a bit and the code and managed to fix it with a spacer GIF image just remember that if you use one to make sure that you use an ALT tag.

I am glad to hear that you preferred this times task, your planning was way better this time. I think just doing 3 ideas then a good sketch of the main idea is good, as this gives you more time.

Thanks, Martyn