Tuesday 15 January 2008

Back in the Saddle

It’s the first week back since Christmas; it felt good to be back in the “Workplace” after three weeks.


The only problem with today was that the entire class was getting their results for A3 and A4 and I knew even before I went back that I hadn’t passed. On the Wednesday before, I received an email form Steve regarding my work.


He asked me to look through my spelling because there were a lot of repetitive mistakes. Straight away I knew that I had referred both units, it was obvious. But I wasn’t upset or mad. I just sat down and got on with the spell checking, and I was shocked with how many mistakes there were, I was very disappointed with myself.


Monday morning started off with a lecture form Steve regarding the mistakes that the majority of the class made in the previous units. This continued on till break time. After break we were introduced to Adobe Dreamweaver, Steve explained how to set up a folder to the site and how to use tables and cells.


After lunch I tested what I had learned and recorded my progress by taking screen shots and placing them in my sketchbook. I also tested other things, like form tools, how to import images, inserting text and testing the pages in a compilation of web browsers.


During the afternoon I was called up by Steve to have a chat considering A3 and A4. I found out there was a substantial amount of work to do on these but as luck would have it, the deadline had been extended which was reassuring.


After this meeting I continued to experiment in Dreamweaver and stick my screen shots into my sketchbook and label them.


Today Steve began by going over both A5 and A6, and explaining what content is needed in both of the assignments. In A5, the web plan form A3 will be used to create the website. A6 is all about fonts and typography, the main task is to create a presentation of a typographer which Steve chose for each of us.


But as well as that we all will be doing Quick fire work and typographic styles, these tasks will happen at random and will be timed.


The typographer I was given to present is a woman called Zuzana Licko; I have spent all of the afternoon researching her work and have been making notes which I can implement into the presentation later on. I have also printed and glued all of her typefaces into my sketchbook; this is form reference as well as proof of research.


I was given my full feedback for A3 this afternoon and I am happy that there isn’t that much to do because I have gotten the spell checking out of the way already.


My goals for this week are as follows:


  • Continue referral work on A3
  • Begin implementing Zuzana Licko notes into a presentation
  • Practice In Design and take screen shots

4 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Liam

I believe that the acceptance of the grades this time around has gone much smoother than last time [myself in particular].

Spelling is very important in the industry that we are training for. Credibility and trust requires much hard work to obtain; however, it can be lost in just a single action [i.e. a very obvious spelling error].

I am pleased that the work required to resolve the issues are minimal, and that the majority of it is done.

It is my believe that we are all now in a much stronger mental position to progress through the course.

I am really looking forward to this semester.

[Shaun's Journal]

Andrew said...

Spelling is something I tend to find easily, though the odd word catches me out. The real thing that I personally struggle with is my writing style, it's very conversational.. so doesn't always reproduce well onto paper. Meaning that sometimes I sound abit informal or things don't really make sense, make sense how I mean them to in the first place.

I think in most cases with this time's referals, it's just a small amount of effort to put everything right, with a few exceptions. I hope everything goes well and you don't refer anything this time around, it'll help with the future modules so much.

Victoria Fisher said...

The last course I was on I had learnt how to use Dream weaver, but what I learnt I had to learn myself. So I didn’t learn the proper way to use dream weaver. Even though I knew some basics using the software I found the demonstration useful as I learnt a lot easier ways to start a web site. I have leanrt some tutorials are good but some can also be wrong and take you a long way round doing something.

John Browne said...

Dissapointments is felt by every one at some point. But in my opinion, it shouldn't be allowed to creep up on us in such a deceitful way. I say this because the human mind will never stop learning. Just keep in mind, nobody knows everything.

On to the good stuff. I personaly am looking forward to building this website. You could say I'm in the catagory of students that you are in, as I am not allowed to carry on with the build with out the completion of A3.