Friday 21 December 2007

Evaluation of Semester One

The first semester has been a sort of insight to what this course, and also the industry is all about. At the beginning of the course I was feeling very confident.


I wasn’t too worried about the first assignment to begin with, the 1k – 2k word essays did bother me at first but I began to understand that it would be difficult to keep under the set word count.

Using the desktop publishing software was difficult, I started by using Adobe PageMaker, it was a lot different to the other software I had used, i.e. Publisher, but one of the main reasons I joined this course was to developed new skills in different software applications.


I also had trouble using Photoshop for developing the first prototype design for the “Chaplin” Site. Before the assignment was sent off I felt that I had done well at the beginning of it and I aimed for a merit, but I knew that the best I could do really was a pass.


Unfortunately I passed only one unit which was the Interactive Media Technologies unit and had failed the Historical Context unit because my references were not set out right. I felt ashamed of myself, but I was later told that I could make up for it in A3 and A4 which made me feel a lot better.


A3 was in my opinion the most difficult assignment of this semester. This was mainly because of the content that I had to find and also because the pictures and the rights to use them. This was basically the same as A2 and consisted of making a web plan, but the twist was that I had to write the content myself. Overall it was a very lengthy process.


In this unit I was also able to develop my site template skills. But instead of using PageMaker, I changed to InDesign which I found a lot easier to use. I feel very happy about screen designs that I have created and I am looking forward to creating the actual website next year.


A4 was totally different to both A3 and A2, it consisted of mainly using Photoshop to restore photos and create web banners, and this unit was my most enjoyable unit because it let me be more creative in my work.


The most difficult part of this particular assignment was the photo restoration task. I was extremely time consuming and fiddly, colouring was the worst part; especially find the right skin tones for each of the men in the photo. It took me 2 attempts to complete this task.


Overall I finding this course enjoyable and challenging, but then again I’ve always loved challenges, I can still say that I am sticking well to my formal statement, I am going to stay on this course and give it my all, the first assignment was helping me settle in it the course, I put a lot of effort into A3 and A4 and will continue to do this throughout the rest of my time here.


Main Goals


Short term – For semester two I am going to aim my work mainly at a merit grade, this is because I have a good feeling about how I have for semester one. I also intend to “Play-About” with the software more. Coming to terms with how everything works in every application that I will no doubt use I the future.


Mid-term – At the end of the course I want to at the very least obtain a pass, I doubt I will get higher than a merit. But will push myself to the limit. I will also want to go and do the top up year to get the full degree for this course. By doing this I will hopefully gain more knowlege about design and have a degree of show for my hard work.


Long-term – After completing the third year and getting my Degree in Interactive Media I am hoping to get employment in the design industry. Whether this be web design, or print design is at this time uncertain to me.

7 comments:

Victoria Fisher said...

One of the reasons I chose this course was to learn more about different software’s, Photoshop was one of the software I wanted to learn to use, now I have some basics in using Photoshop and other new software which I have found useful as I will have to use the softwares again alot.
Like you I found the image restoration the hardest task last semester, but I was happy with the finished image and I enjoyed learning the skill.

Michelle Bonfield said...

'Content' is now a swear word in my vocabulary. Who could think of a more arduous way to pass the time! A3 was a major headache and I don't think i could of ever comprehended how much work it would actually involve.

However, its completion did give me an enormous sense of satisfaction particularly as it coincided with completing A4 as well!

Well done us thats all I can say!

Tom Smith said...

It's good to read your positive outlook for the future. I genuinely hope you can achieve all that you've set out before you and do so to your full potential! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.

Andrew said...

I'm glad you've got a positive outlook on the future, you've never seemed that stressed in class and always had a cool head on your shoulders. Even if you couldn't get things the right ways, remember theres people in the group that know alot about Photoshop that are more than willing to help anyone who has a problem.

Take some time this week before we go back to mess around with it more, and really get used to the software as a whole. Being comfortable with your tools is such a vital aspect when it comes to designing. It means you can really let creativity flow without stopping to think about it too hard, possibily disrupting your design process.

Anonymous said...

Hi, guantanamera121212