Tuesday 19 February 2008

Usability and Productivity

Before I begin with what has happened this week, Ill explain what happened last week, I spent at least 16 just doing the CGI script for the website, that’s on top of A4 referral and the A6 presentation.

Monday morning began with the website usability tests, basically the entire class went round testing everybody’s website, we spent roughly 5 minutes on each website, than moved around the room to test another, so everybody’s site got tested by everyone.

I knew that there was at least one problem with mine, which was obviously my feedback form, last week I didn’t managed to get it working and became very stressed, like you do.

After this we has a short break, when I got back, I went over the feedback that I had obtained and began implementing it, this included placing a link to the homepage on some of the pages, getting rid on the space between the banner and the navigation bar and trying to sort my CGI script.

I still had no luck in sorting out FormMail, to I tried a different one that was placed on the HND site. I had no luck with this ether, Luckily help was at hand.

I decided to ask James for help, he shows me an alternative method that he had used, something called “cgimail” all he did was created a text file and typed in the names of the objects in the form, and edited one of the hidden fields and uploaded it.

It worked first time, I was utterly astounded, and he did in 5 minutes what I had been trying to do for 16 hours in the previous week.
I was pretty upbeat for the rest of the day, and managed to tidy up the site a bit.

Today began with a lecture on newspaper layout, after that we had a timed task which was to create a newspaper job advertisement for a graphic designer at Vodafone.

I must admit I found the measurements rather confusing and unfortunately wasted half an hour trying to fathom it out. But I managed to sort it and design the banner and have it finished 15 minuets before the deadline; I feel that I am getting more confident with these tasks.

This afternoon was the first practice of my Zuzana Licko presentation, luckily the group I was in were last, so I had plenty of time to prepare myself.

I feel that the practice could have gone better, I was nervous and did stutter a bit, I have to develop on certain areas of the presentation, but I should have the final draft done for next Tuesday.

My tasks for this week are as follows:

  • A5 – Continue to implement feedback into the website
  • A6 – Complete a final draft of the Zuzana Licko presentation
  • Create a homepage for my ePortfolio
  • Obtain and comment on types of inspiration

4 comments:

Victoria Fisher said...

When we were doing the usability testing I didn’t get to see your homepage because I couldn’t find the link, but I have just had a look now and your home is simple and easy to understand which is good for the target audience. I don’t know if you have changed your homepage but one thing I would recommend is to link your images has well has you text on your homepage.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I wouldnt worry about your presentation it was really good.
Its good to see that you got up in front of every one in are group and practiced yours. Something I would have liked to have done but a was to nervous. But with a bit more practice am sure the presentations will be a lot better.

James Bell said...

I think the timed tasks are something that everyone is enjoying and personally something that is really helping me with my time management.

Getting everything finished 10 - 15 minutes before the deadline really does give you confidence.

It lets you correct any little mistakes that have been made and it also give you time to 'tinker' with the design as you know you have already got one finished version.

John Browne said...

Congratulations on gettin the CGI form work, I'm just sorry I couldn't see the problem with it.

The vodafone timed task for me was way better then the previous ones. I managed to compled a suitable design and handed in 35 before the hand in date meaning I had the rest of the time to work on the presentation.

During the presentation I did notice the slightest bit of a stutter, but it was nothing to be worried about. You showed some signs of confidence in the way you spoke about the typograther. Just a suggestion is to listen to steves advice and alter the layout of the pages. Too many fonts were on one of the pages as I recall. Re-organise and you will do well.