Tuesday 8 April 2008

EmiTing Designs

Monday began as always with a lecture, this lecture was based upon using Macromedia FreeHand, the presentation went through some of the basic editing tools, it also explained how to do effects like merging shapes and also which file format to save it for when it is imported into InDesign.

For the second half of the morning a former student named Mark Feather came in to tell us about his background, life in the industry and to show us his portfolio.

He works for Empire Direct, his job is to create banners and offers and update the website when needed. He also showed us his portfolio and some of the work he had done while he was on the course.


The beginning of the afternoon started off with the other half of the FreeHand Lecture. This part of the lecture basically covered everything about colour, inserting it into shapes and text, creating Swatches, Gamut Warning and the Pantone Library.


After this, John Munday came around the class going over our goals that we set ourselves at the beginning of the course and seeing if we were still going in the right direction, he then checked some of my logo ideas and gave me some feedback.


The rest of the day mainly consisted of sketching logos, trying to choose a certain few that I would create on Illustrator for final designs.


Today began with half of the class been given a lecture and the other half, including me, carried on with my final sketches, I originally planned to create 10 logo ideas, before break I only managed to get about 6 done, so after break I decided to make a start in illustrator. I managed to get one logo completed before lunch, Steve asked me to alter a few things so after lunch I did.


In seminar groups Steve looked at my logo designs and decided that he wanted me to create another one using a font that I had put in my sketchbook, so for the rest of the day I have been creating different versions of my final logo, below is an image of what I have created so far:


Tasks for the rest of the week:

  • Finalise logo designs ready for feedback
  • Put Logo on forum for feedback
  • Sketchbook work
  • Collect more photos
  • Practice Illustrator

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Craig Burgess said...

The records text on the logo will struggle to hold at anywhere near business card size. I think you might need to rethink that typeface.

Mark Torrington said...

Have you tried using a combination of two colours yet. This might help you see the 'r' within the 'e'.

Have to agree with Craig the text needs beefing up.

Tom Smith said...

I didn't think the company was called 'emit records'. I thought the brief was to create a logo for 'emit'. I'm not sure whether the word 'records' should be in there at all. I might be wrong though.

Other than that, I like the logo. I prefer the 2D idea to the 3D one, which I think just overcomplicates things. I has good presence and shape, but I think the text could do with being thickened up a bit, just to make it a bit clearer.

Greg Carrick said...

I have to agree with everyone else, the text could do with been thickened up a bit. As you already know, it would be better to stick with the 2D logo. I do like the logo though.

Also I think you should check with Steve to see if the word ‘records’ is allowed in the logo.

Liam Corfield said...

Thankf for your input guys, ive implememted you throughts into some ideas. i will post the on saturday night.

Thanks again for your input