Tuesday 29 April 2008

Preflight Check

This week has been rather stressful, mainly because this is the last week where we could have a face to face with Steve about major tweaks to our work, so the past 2 days have been about getting as much as the CD covers done as I can.


Monday because with Steve offering to go over last week’s Lecture on “Artwork for Print”, this was mainly for the people who had missed it but it was also good to have it fresh in our memory.


This lasted for the first part of the morning, during this lecture I had an epiphany, the back of my CD cover had been bugging me all week, I knew it needed changing but I didn’t know what to do with it, the idea was to have a silhouette of the earth with a sort of Nebula above it emitting light. I made a quick sketch of it so I could develop it after the lecture.


For the rest of the morning I set a target of getting a rough version of the CD back artwork done, I was searching SXC for a good hour and had found a few images; the one I decided to use was initially an image of the earth with a sunburst next to it.


I cropped the image down to size that fitted the CD cover, after that I decided to do a nebula effect but I realised that the front cover had one too and I wanted each side to have something different, so instead I created a star effect using noise,


The rest of the afternoon consisted of research into the pre-flight plan, I searched high and low for some example, and I placed some of these examples in my sketchbook for future reference.


Today, instead of a lecture, Steve asked us if there was anything we wanted to know about the Second year tasks, he first told us the names of the units and what they consisted of doing, he also went over some of the activities that will be included in the summer assignment, most questions that were asked were aim at how some of the units would be marked.


The seminar groups were also different today, we (Gamma Group) were teamed up with Beta Group, we were asked to place our work upon the wall, I then realised that he wanted us to speak about it and give feedback to others.


Unfortunately my work had been measured wrong and there are a lot of things to be tweaked, so I’m keeping with the idea of a space theme but I’ve decided to start for scratch. I’m going to read up on more tutorials and try to do some “Spacey” effects for the CD cover.


I will be posting my new designs on here and on DasForum later on this week. I hope you will all give feedback.


Tasks for the rest of the week:


  • Photoshop tutorials
  • Complete CD Cover
  • Edit logo Design
  • Begin Evaluation

4 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I bet you're pretty annoyed about having measured your work wrong, but I think you should look at this positively. It's an opportunity to rework the cover to a higher standard, and starting from scratch can help with this. I look forward to seeing the designs later in the week.

Webomatic said...

Hi Liam

I agree with tom I bet you got frustrated, but at least you have time to improve your design. Although from what I’ve seen of your designs I think they are really coming along and I cant wait to see the final result. If you ever need help just ask on the forum there are plenty of designers on there I’m sure you could find help.

I personally like your designs on the CD work it stands out and shows what the music is like, it’s a perfect idea for your work. The logo as we discussed in clas may need a bit of work but its coming along just fine. I too have improved my design this week using the forum for feedback.

Thanks, Martyn

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think your Cd case is coming along well. You could see from the group meeting this week that you knew what you wanted your Cd case to look like and making sure you have a suitable typeface could improve your design even more.

Liam Corfield said...

Thanks for you comments, it was very frustrating with the measurements been inaccurate, but its also down to the fact that i did the outer image in 3 separate parts, this time i decided to do it as one image, this will make it easier for me.