Tuesday 27 November 2007

Down With The Sickness

Although the title sounds a bit obscure; it has a meaning behind it. It is also the name of a song by The Disturbed.


Last week was an extremely hectic week, every night I was up till at least 2 o’clock, doing as much referral work as possible. Every time I thought I had finished, I found something else I had to change. The one thing that took me ages to do was changing the page numbers and trying to order them, it was very messy.


Due to illness on Sunday night, I was off all day on Monday, which I was disappointed about because I had purposely spent all day Sunday writing out notes andproof reading A2

I rested for most of the day and in the afternoon; I decided to print off my Referral Work ready for Tuesday.


During the rest of the afternoon I attempted to finish the Image Restoration task but only got as far as colouring in the middle man. I found it particularly difficult to find a colour for the men’s ties; every colour I tried seemed too outrageous and bright.


Today I managed to get myself out of bed and come into college. The first thing I did was hand in my Referral Work, I felt relived that I now only had 2 assignments to do instead of 3.

Today’s lecture was….well…. not really a lecture it was supposed to be a recap of yesterday work, but unfortunately I wasn’t here yesterday.


We had to design a business card but had to include typographic solutions, which I didn’t have a clue about and struggled with.


The entire classes work was judged by everyone, and mine was the worst and got such a roasting, mostly from Gary, but he was just trying to be awkward.


Throughout the afternoon I continued the Photo Restoration task and managed to find some reasonable colours, which I was pleased with. Later on we had our weekly seminar with Steve, this included looking over the image compression essay and the image restoration task. Unfortunately I have to start the image restoration again I actually admitted that I needed to do it.


These are the tasks I must do this week:


  • Complete new Image restoration
  • Do Time sheets
  • Complete most of A3
  • Comment blogs

7 comments:

John Browne said...

Yes we missed you on Monday man :(

Sounds like youv'e got a lot to do this week.... Dont take no criticism from gary cos he got it wrong on both days :p (sorry Gary, this is well desirved for a lot of criticism).

I think I have a sort of solution towards your tie colours in the image restoration task as you admitted to having very bright and unsatosfying colours. Might i suggest merely using a dark shaded colour and placing the opacity levels between, lets say 15 and 30 (Test this to see how it works).

Thomas Wealthy said...

Hopefully you have recovered from your sick period. You haven’t visited Leeds by any chance have you!

It's good to hear that you got your referral work in on time. If you had what I had then it wasn’t any easy task to do!

The business card task sounded quite fun but from hearing you got "roasted" about card then the appeal has gone now!

The image restoration task has been quite a trick one for me I would have to say. The hardest part of the picture is the fold line and the bleach mark surprisingly!

Greg Carrick said...

At leased your sickness didn't stop you from getting your referral work in.

I'm having the same problem as you with the ties. But I think John's just solved that for me! Thanks John.

By the way the song title is just "Down with the Sickness".

Suzanne Hullah said...

Disturbed are an OK band and their best album was definately the sickness. Good choice of song.

Back on topic, well done for getting your work in on time even though you were ill towards the end of the referal time. Good luck with your feedback/result on Monday!

Mark Torrington said...

Sounds like you have hard time lately but are focused on solutions. Fingers crossed in regards to your referral submission.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.

Craig Burgess said...

I struggled when I first started the course to get the essays right. They're a big jump up from anything else you've probably ever done, so don't feel too disheartened that you've not cracked it straight away.

Like everything else on this course (and more philosophically - life), stick at it and you'll get it in the end.